Trumpeter Ship Models 1/700 RN Roma Italian Navy Battleship 1943 Kit
Estimated Shipping: 2-3 Business Days
The largest and most powerful warships ever built in Italy, the battleships of the Littorio class, were the first “35,000 tons” to come under the provisions of the Washington Treaty. Although the Washington Naval Conference of 1922 gave Italy the authority to build up to 182,800 tons of new capital ships (including 70,000 tons prior to 1932), the Italians waited more than a decade before beginning construction.
Commissioned on June 24, 1940, she joined the 1st Naval Squadron at Taranto under Admiral Bergamini’s flag. She was severely damaged November 10-11 1940 while anchored at Taranto by British Aircraft launched from the carrier Illustrious. In March of 1941, she was back in service. December 17, 1941, the RN Littorio participated in the first battle of Sirte Gulf. March 21, 1942, during the second battle of Sirte, a muzzle blast from the aft 381-mm turret set fire to a Ro.43 float plane on the fantail which led the British to believe they had scored a torpedo hit on the battleship.
Battle of mid-June 12-16 1942 the RN Littorio was damaged June 15, 1942, by American B-24 bombers on the return to her base she was hit by a torpedo launched by the Wellington. Repairs were completed by August 27, 1942 but the ship was to carry out no more combat missions. From December 1942 to June 1943 the RN Littorio was used to defend the cities of Taranto, La Spezia and Genoa from Allied air attacks.
July 25, 1943, the RN Littorio was renamed the Italia. She was decommissioned June 1, 1948, after a total of 46 missions during her wartime career of which nine were combat missions.
- 440+ Parts
- Optional full or waterline hull, well-detailed deck and superstructure, finely molded fittings, ship's boats, life rafts, cranes, stern catapult, clear-molded aircraft (RO.43 seaplane and RE.2000 fighter), full weapons suite, display stand with nameplate
- Photo-etch parts (funnel cap grilles, louver panels, float plane trolley, aircraft crane arm and aft deck lattice frames.
- Main turrets may be built with elevating gun barrels or fixed with blast bags
- Completed model is approximately 13.5" long
- Color painting guide displays port and starboard profiles and overhead plan view - decals for aircraft markings.